Garage door rollers are the wheels that move along the garage door tracks.
Their mechanism allows for swift and smooth movement on the vertical and horizontal tracks.
Worn rollers can delay the opening and closing of your door.
At best, your door can move shakily or noisily.
But at worst, movement may be impossible and your garage door will be stuck.
Hence, you need to regularly keep your garage door rollers in check.
If you have damaged and worn rollers, replacement is imperative.
Continue reading to find out how to replace garage door rollers.
If you live in Long Beach, our professional repairmen at Long Beach Garage Door Repair can assist you.
We can replace and maintain your garage door rollers for you.
We also offer a wide range of services including garage door repair in Long Beach.
Set a schedule with our team now!
Signs That You Need to Replace Your Garage Door Rollers
Does your garage door vibrate as it moves up or down?
Does it produce unusual noises like screeching or creaking sounds?
Does your door often become misaligned?
If you answered yes to all questions, then it’s high time that you examine your rollers.
A shaky and noisy garage door indicates that there is a problem with your garage door rollers.
Your rollers may be unlubricated, rusty, bent, or worn out.
Consult your trusted garage door technician on what to do with your rollers.
But more often than not, they would suggest that you have your rollers replaced.
Garage Door Roller Replacement
Replacing your garage door rollers is a straightforward task.
However, you should be wary of the safety risks of handling garage door repairs on your own.
When in doubt, leave the task to certified garage door technicians.
In any case, here’s our step-by-step guide on how to replace garage door rollers.
Replacing The Topmost Rollers
- Partially open your door.
Secure the door with a clamp at the bottom of the door tracks about 1 foot from the floor.
- Use a pair of pliers to lightly bend the tracks.
Be careful not to bend the tracks too much and cause damage.
Note that you just want the rollers to easily go out of their tracks.
- Pop the rollers out of the tracks.
Use a screwdriver to aid you in the process.
- Use a socket wrench and loosen the retaining bolts to the brackets or hinges securing your garage door rollers.
- Once the brackets are loose, slide the old garage door rollers out.
- Insert the new rollers with a little bit of WD-40 for lubrication.
- Secure the retaining brackets and pop in the rollers back in the tracks.
Replacing The Middle Rollers
- Loosen the retaining bolts to the brackets holding your old garage door rollers.
- The rollers should effortlessly slide out of the brackets.
- Slide in the replacement garage door rollers.
- Spray WD-40 for lubrication.
- Screw back the bolts to your garage door roller brackets.
Replacing The Bottommost Rollers
- Put your door in the open position and secure it.
- Find a spot on the vertical tracks where you will warp the tracks to take the rollers out.
Ideally, this area should be at your elbow height and in the middle of a track segment.
- Lightly bend the tracks with pliers.
- Manually lower the door so that the rollers are on the bent track portion.
- Next, force the rollers to go off-track.
- You can now loosen the retaining bolts and slide the rollers out of the brackets that hold them.
- Slide in your replacement rollers.
- Apply lubrication before securing your new garage door rollers.
- Insert the rollers back on the tracks.
- Finally, reshape your tracks so that they’re back to their correct configuration.
Professional Garage Door Roller Replacement in Long Beach
Do you notice any signs of worn, bent, or rusty rollers?
Call Long Beach Garage Door Repair for a prompt and timely garage door repair in Long Beach.
Our technicians can quickly diagnose the source of your garage door problem after an initial inspection.
From that, they will determine the most appropriate and practical solution for your garage door issue.
Our default solution is to fix the damaged part of your door.
However, we can also do parts replacement such as changing your garage door rollers.
Aside from repair, we also offer garage door installation in Long Beach.
Set an appointment with us now, and let our team handle your garage door repair needs!