Table of Contents
We can’t stress enough the safety issues of replacing and repairing the hardware’s spring.
This type of task is not for everybody.
Without the skills and experience, you are likely putting yourself in harm’s way.
So, when your springs are worn out and need to be replaced, do not attempt to DIY the repairs.
Unless you have all the time in the world to undertake this project–just proceed with caution.
Moreover, if you’re in a hurry and need to get the hardware back up and working–call the experts in Long Beach!
Long Beach Garage Doors is a dedicated team of expert technicians providing excellent services 24/7. We are only a call away!
But if you insist to do the garage door spring repair–here are the things you need to know.
Things You Need to Know About Your Garage Door Spring
Before we proceed in repairing our broken springs, we need to tackle some important details about our springs.
Do you know that there are various types of springs available in the market for our garage door? Read on to find out what are these types of springs:
This spring is seen vertically mounted on the sides of the door panel with long and skinny features.
The extension spring is responsible for pulling or lifting the panel.
Extension springs come in various types such as:
1. Clipped-end. Among the other types, clipped-end is the strongest type of extension spring that can carry up to 200lbs of the door panel’s weight.
2. Double-looped. Double-looped is the second-best robust extension spring after clipped-end.
It features two (2) coils at the end of the spring which is connected to the hardware’s eyebolt and pulley.
3. Open-looped. The weakest among the group that once its wire is broken, the entire unit requires to be replaced.
Seen mounted horizontally above and placed at the center of the door panel.
Its main function is to match your door panel’s design and weight.
Meaning, the torsion spring will depend on the size and weight of the garage door’s panel.
The torsion spring is responsible for lowering and lifting the panel effortlessly.
This spring comes in the following types:
1. Standard. As the name suggests, this type of torsion spring is seen in most lightweight residential garage doors.
2. Torque-master. It can be seen enclosed to the shaft of the torsion and held in place by a winding cone
3. Steel rolling door. This type of torsion spring is widely used in commercial or industrial overhead doors.
4. Early-set. It has the same feature as the standard type but only mounted in the middle of the torsion’s shaft
How Do You Repair and Replace the Spring
Although we can manually open and close our hardware, the springs made every operation seamless and convenient.
We now know the different types of springs and their functions.
Let us now go to the most crucial details of repairing the hardware’s major unit.
But, then again, when you’re going to DIY the spring repairs and replacements, always proceed with caution.
Here’s a quick guide on what you need to know about replacing an extension garage door spring.
First, gather all the necessary tools and replacement spring.
By now, you’re able to identify which type of spring you need to replace.
Or you can simply match the new replacement with the old springs.
- Release the tension. By doing so, simply open the door panel all the way up and lock it in place.
- Lock the panel in place. Locking the door in place will prevent any accident such as sudden movement or closing the door panel while working.
- Disconnect. This can be done by disconnecting the door panel from the opener.
- Assemble the replacement spring. Remove the worn-out spring with the new set.
- Stretch. After the installation, stretch the springs about an inch.
- Remove the clamps, then, adjust accordingly.
Once you’re done, do the functionality test. Furthermore, we strongly suggest that you call for technical assistance for more reliable repairs.
By understanding the function and mechanism of the springs, it will give us an idea of how our hardware works.
Also, it allows us to know which ones can be done within our skills and what needs to be delegated to the experts.
Just because we want to save a few dollars, we’ll have to do even the riskiest repairs.
Mastering this type of craft takes time.
Apart from that, you need to have the right tools to do the repairs efficiently.
Moreover, we want to let you know that we are open 24/7 to respond to your call anywhere in Long Beach.
Book an appointment with u so you can enjoy our great deals that await you!